Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Weirdo Gnostic Symbolisim for Upcoming Project


In issue one of the upcoming TNA: Brigade book there are four full color pages. One of the characters is having a bout of premature enlightment. Some of the truth of the human condition is being realized in a dream state. So I had to design these four pages of symbolic visions using bits of the characters history and personal mythology and also symbols that can be found in the Jungian collective conscious vernacular.
gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx
 I did some rough thumbnails first, I was bouncing anywhere between 2 of four pages to spend on this little tangent idea. But I got some of the themes right away. The first piece was inspired by a sketch from Davinci’s sketchbook, it is a drawing of a baby the womb, but it is like this cross section thing. It is sort of like a pod person or something. Which strangely works in the over all gist.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

I got really inspired by Alex Grey and Paul Romano going through this process. I dusted off my old watercolor series (or what was left of it and started to go back through my notes. Then I busted out my Joseph Campbell books and got started right away. This is the sketch for piece 1.



gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

Here is the actual piece with the basic color placed into it. The blasted sky is thematic to the book this is going to appear in. I reused a lot of the imagery from my water color series gallery show called ”Gnosis of the Pilgrim” essentially these are just an extension of the series. Just as the series is actually a sort of companion piece to the books. The gallery show was just a little a head of the books, since I had a few books to get through before I was able to get to this part of the story.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

Here is some detail work.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

This is the sketch for piece


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

This introduces the whale. And continues the anchor and the apple.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

Here is piece 2 with some basic color laid into it.  I used all thin line for this. So the line work (however much will survive into the final) will be set aside from the line work I use in the book.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

Here is a little detail, I am going in to enhance and complicate the color using a pointillism sort of idea. 


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

The whole thing with a bit of the pointillism done.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

Here is an older draft of the sketch for piece 3.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx
 This is piece 3 with the basic color laid into it.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

And here it is after a tough of the pointillism treatment. I should have gotten a detail of this one. I went in and worked on the halos a little bit, and touched up the gold rings.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx


Here is the sketch for piece 4.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

Here is piece 4 with the basic color laid in. I like the concept for this one the best I think. However I have
a lot of work to do on it. it fell pretty short to what I wanted in my head.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

I started darkening up the whole scene and will continue to do so with pointillism technique.


gnosis
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

These have a lot of work to go on them still. But I still have time and I am on schedule

No comments:

Post a Comment