Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Zombie Gras

Convention season is starting. Even though my con schedule is a little slow this year it still means one thing… Zombies! At conventions most comic artists do commissions for fans and convention goers. A commission is when a fan pays you to draw a character, like they charge $10 clams for them to draw whatever character you want. Shazam, The Flash, Wolverine whoever. My convention problem is that I don’t draw other people’s characters.  When I was wrestling I didn’t use “name” wrestlers finisher moves, if I was in a band I wouldn’t play cover songs, I would never write fan fiction, air brush the Tasmanian Devil on a t-shirt, draw anyone a tattoo with a Jason Vorhees. I don’t think any less for the guys that do this sort of thing, I just feel like I wouldn’t be comfortable doing it. I am not a cover band and I will not get over as one. So last year I got this idea of doing ten minute life drawings of fans as Pittsburgh’s most popular export… ZOMBIES. I have done a some events using this idea and in some venues it goes over like gang busters! Today was the Horror Realms spring event a little one day con and I was there plying my trade. I got rid of some books and did some drawings. So here we go.


stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

This guy was a little weird. Sometimes I feel sort of like a cabby or a shrink doing this work, because I don’t want the subject to get bored so I chin wag a little with them, especially if it is earlier in the day. I notice myself to get more and more quiet as the hand cramps start setting in. Anyhow on our little journey together this guy told me all sorts of things.  I was scared at one point.



stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

He is in Dagger’s movie as a containment officer. He is also the bassist in a band called Horrendous Ordeal who plays a lot in Cleveland. He was a great guy and I might be doing some work for his band. Secretly I have always wanted to do art for heavy metal bands. I am one step closer to realizing this dream.


stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

These guys were great. They lived all over and moved back to Pittsburgh. They lived in Oregon and New York. 


stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

This little girl was adorable. Parent frequently want me to draw their kids as zombies. I am not sure if it is some sort of cathartic experience for them or not. This surely was not in this case. She was a little cutie.

stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

This dude was being a cameraman for Jason Swinchock who was interviewing some of the folks in my area. They were great guys who let me plug http://www.jonnyaxx.com/ on camera while I was drawing him.

stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

So my dad and my step mom showed up from 2 and a half hours away unannounced just to shock me! And here they are. They breezed in, got this drawing done bought me a chicken sammich and high tailed it out of there. If this picture didn’t exist I might have thought the whole bizarre incident was a figment of my hung over brain.

stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

Hand cramps started right around this point. They were a cool couple though. While I was working on their drawing they started flipping through the comics I had out. She had gone to art school and she is now a tattoo artist. She was asking me a lot of questions. She had a cool sort of rockabilly vibe and I was able to work in a few of her tats into the portrait.

stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

This guy and his Mom sat for me. He is an indy movie director and she is his go to girl. She said that she has done stunts, been an actor, make up / special effect person. I was touched by the story. His movie was screened at Horror realm last year and won a category. It is really cool. She was telling me about how she had to get stuff thrown on her for a scene and the people weren’t throwing enough liquid on her and the DP or whatever yelled “douse the bitch!”… “Action!” They were great.

stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx
I liked this guy because he kept telling me how talented I was and he stayed reallllly still while I was working. He is in town on a vacation he lives in Green Bay Wisconsin. 


stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

A nice lady who was there with one of the celebs wanted a drawing, She was really nice. She was shocked with the drawing and she said it creeped her out. 

stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

She and her husband are making horror movies and came in to network. I spilled my guts she was so nice to me. I tried to find her husband on FB but his name is Michael Smith… So I guess I have to wait until they find me.

stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx
 The Horrendous Ordeal guy gave me a pic of his daughter. This was a fun one to do. Not much talking with this one.


stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

The bathroom in the show room stunk. I don’t know what happened in there. There might have been a plumbing problem, or someone might have taken a Hiroshima shit after drinking 22 Heinekens and eating a radioactive burrito. But earlier in the day this dude and I were in there together and we had a bonding moment. I was presently surprised to see him later wanting a portrait.

stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx


stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx

Every once in a great while I can’t bring myself to fucking someone up too badly. It depends on how I feel if  I look on this as a fail or not. In this case this young lady looked at the drawing and said “Oh… I look pretty!” So yeah, fail.

stigmata studios
I encourage following, commenting and sharing. Check Out my website: www.stigmatastudios.com and find me on twitter: @jonnyaxx
These are two of my new buddies. These are the guys I illustrated for the dagger’s movie. She is the zombie with the cage on her head and he is the cowboy zombie killer. They are great folks and fun to chat with. Chad is in like 86 bands Melanie is a scarey Zombie. I didn’t fuck her up too badly in my drawing either. However she was already jacked up by the make up so that is my excuse in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment